But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7
When we are willing to walk in the light of Christ, we receive cleansing from our sin, but many are unaware that they are in darkness because they have strongholds in them that keep them in bondage to the power of sin.
What are strongholds? They are behaviors, habits, addiction, and mindsets that we practice that are contrary to the Lord where we have ignored or neglected to invite the Lord, His Word and will. They may be passed down to us while we were yet in the womb or through certain sins we have committed or by others who have committed sin against us. They are easy to spot because they will manifest in a repeating pattern in our lives or will manifest in mental distress or physical ill-health. We may have many. Our folly is when we accept them as normal or just how it is. In so doing, we are at risk, if not already, in becoming calloused to the conviction of the Holy Spirit regarding them.
James 4:6-8 tells us how we may be free from them:
But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Here are keys to being set free from strongholds according to this passage:
· In humility which is acknowledging to God our faults and being honest to ourselves and to God, holding back and hiding nothing
· Submit to God, which means surrendering to Him all and fully
· Resist what is of evil or the appearance of evil by keeping watch over our life to not put our self in places of evil and darkness that is contrary to God
· Make the effort to draw near to God in our day; prayer, praise & thanksgiving, study, and the meditation of the Word
· Remove ourselves from all that is unclean to purify ourselves for God
· No longer live two lives as a believer in the Lord and one who practices sin
Let us go before the Lord and ask if there are strongholds in our lives and that He would grant us grace to cast them down in Jesus name. Let us invite the light of Jesus Christ in these places and begin walking in this light from now on and receive the cleansing through the blood of Jesus and freedom!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom; 2 Cor 3:16-18.
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled. 2 Cor 10:4-6