1) Submitting (to God) is a good place to start, but with the understanding that it is not a one-time thing, but rather a daily doing. And this involves being mindful of every moment. Often we go about our day without really thinking, we just automatically do. This has to stop if we want to overcome areas in our lives.
2) God knows where we are. He knows what pulls us, what tempts us, what powers are at work and why – and through Jesus Christ, they can all be dealt with to no longer have the current power they hold now. He is our coach so to speak. He always waits for us to give to Him our undivided attention, and unfortunately, we only give Him less then this and why we don’t live free from bondage that plague us.
3) We have to understand what it really means to submit. We must realize that we have God to answer to for every area of our life and to take this seriously. This is the place where we come to the end of our self and determine to forsake it. In doing this, we must understand the war between our flesh and the Spirit, and that when we are in bondage to anything, be it addiction, fear or need of approval (to name a few) it is because we have not put to death our old nature and continue to live by it, instead of living in our new that Christ died to give to us.
4) When you come to a hard place, where you can easily become vulnerable to sin, cry out to God with all you have. Stand firm and cry out for His grace to get you through it and not succumb to it. You may need to do this minute by minute….hour by hour step by step. If you fall, get back up and start again. It is not simply saying you submit….it is to truly put to practice submission. He will not touch you if He sees your heart is not serious, God will not play games with anyone. But He freely gives to all who call out His name to save them – from Self, from Sin and from Satan. Take nothing for granted, every place in your life, offer it to God for Him to work and Have His way.
5) Commit to reading the bible, to hear His instructions, to learn of who He is and why you exist. Pray always without ceasing, your day should be in continual prayer to God – giving Him thanks and acknowledge His goodness when you see it. If you don’t see His goodness, start there, and ask Him to show you. Ask Him to show you what you are to be thankful for. Treat your life like it is worth it, because it is. The devil has had far too much influence and say, time to tell him No! God Bless.
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:7-10
Related: Submission – It’s a Good thing! Addiction Time for some Spring Cleaning!